The World’s 5 Toughest Ab Exercises
Think you’ve got what it takes to be a fitness superhero?
Check out these top 5 ab exercises that will get you ripped and ready to take on the best!
1. Toes to Bar: This workout pushes more than just your core; it requires hip strength, excellent flexibility, and a strong grip on the bars.
The focus here is eccentric contraction of your muscles (the lowering rather than the raising), and takes serious control to stop your legs from swinging or dropping.
2. Human Flag: This is not an exercise for the faint of heart (or muscle)! With this workout, your arms, back, abs, and shoulders are all working together to hold up your body, and it takes a person with serious functional strength to get it right.
3. Single-Side Bird Dog: Most people do the Bird Dog using opposite arms and legs, but doing it with the same side is INCREDIBLY hard on your core. Your abs have to focus not only on the movement, but on keeping your body stable as you raise your arm and leg. Up to 90% of people CAN’T do it!
4. Valslide Pushup: The Valslide is like the Ab Roller on steroids, as the slippery disk has far less grip than the handles of the Ab Roller. With the single-hand Valslide Push-up, it’s like doing a one-arm pushup while using the Ab Roller at the same time. Keeping your form correct in this pushup is supremely hard, and both your arms and your core will be shaking like a leaf as you try to push back up.
5. Medicine Ball Hollow Body Hold: Also known as the “V-Sit” this movement is BRUTAL on your core! You have to hold your arms and legs a few inches from the floor, which is already exhausting as it is. Adding the weight of a medicine ball between your feet just doubles down on the difficulty of this exercise, which even the fittest struggle to do for more than 15 to 20 seconds at a time!